American Red Cross Lifeguarding Class
Looking to give back to your community and build your leadership skills? Then Lifeguarding is for you! Through videos, group discussion and hands-on practice, you’ll learn teamwork, rescue and surveillance skills. This course provides participants with the knowledge and skills to prevent, recognize and respond to aquatic emergencies and to provide professional-level care for breathing and cardiac emergencies, injuries, and sudden illnesses until emergency medical services (EMS) personnel take over. Completing the course results in a 2-year certification in Lifeguarding/CPR/AED/First Aid, all in one certificate.
Candidates must meet these requirements for class:
- Be at least 15 years old on or before the final scheduled session of the course.
- Complete the online learning portion of the course BEFORE class begins.
- Swim 300 yards, continuously demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing. Candidates may swim using the front crawl, breast stroke or a combination of both, swimming on the back or side is NOT allowed. Swim goggles may be used.
- Tread water for two minutes using only their legs. Candidates should place their hands under their armpits.
- Complete a timed event with 1 minute, 40 seconds. Swim goggles are not allowed.
- Starting in the water, swim 20 yards, surface dive to a depth of 7-10 feet to retrieve a 10-pound object
- Return to the surface and swim 20 yards on the back to return to the starting point with both hands holding the object and keeping the face at or near the surface so they are able to get a breath.
- Exit the water without using a ladder or steps.
If the candidate is not able to pass the Prerequisite Skills, they will be issued a full refund.
Males must wear boxer style swimming suit and females must wear a one piece swimming suit.
Fees and Registration:
- Cost $220 Register online or in person at the Rough Rider Center.
- Includes Hip Pack, Adult and Infant CPR masks, and online fee to the Red Cross for the online learning materials.
- All Class times and dates are MANDATORY
- Once registered, participants will receive instructions via e-mail for the Red Cross Online Learning. The online material must be fully completed before the first day of class. Proof of completion will be required before class begins.
Dates & Times:
November 11 5:00-9:00 pm
November 12 9:00-6:00 pm
November 13 9:00-6:00 pm
All classes will be held at the Rough Rider Center- Aquatics Center
2209 Wolves Den Parkway
Watford City, ND 58854
For more information, please contact Tiffany at firstname.lastname@example.org or 701-609-4153